Thursday, 24 May 2007

Here's what Nicola says..

Thanks to Nicola Marsh - fresh home from hospital with her new baby boy. She's author for both Romance and Mod X...
My take on sex in MXs? For me, writing these books isn't about the sex, it's about the fun, flirty relationship between the characters. It's about a modern woman, an irrisistible guy and the sparks they generate. The sex just seems to be a natural extension of their relationship.It isn't about the quantity, it's all about the quality and the characters know what they want and aren't afraid to go out there and grab it with both hands-so to speak! And I love the fact that every MX I've read and written are so different in their approach to "the deed" :)
- I think Nicola hits a really important point - although we're all in the one 'line' and there is a common 'vibe' we're all 'different in approach' - I guess that's the best advice. You have to write in your voice and in the way that's right for you.
I *think* the Eds buy voice over story - story can be fixed, voice is unique.
Write it how you want to write it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat

Had to add my two cents here because it's such an interesting topic -- although I think most of the important stuff has been said already.

In a nutshell, sex in MX is like sex in any other romance novel -- it's just another aspect of the characters emotional journey. However hot or not your sex scenes are (and that would depend on your voice, your characters, etc) it has to be relevant. Of course MX are looking for uber-sexy romances and I doubt if you'd get away with 'closing the bedroom door' so to speak. But 'sexy' to my mind is all about sexual tension and heat between the characters not mechanics. I've just finished reading Julie Cohen's All Work and No Play and that is one sexy, sexy book. If you want to know how to put enough heat on the page to burn it to a crisp while staying true to your characters that book's a great place to start. (And thanks a bunch Julie, now I'm going to have to overcome a long-standing prejudice and buy a copy of The Sun this Saturday for my free copy of Spirit Willing!)

The only other thing I'd say is have fun writing your sex scenes. I love writing them (and not just for the vicarious thrills). When your characters are making love they're at their most emotionally raw, their most exposed (both emotionally and physically). Think of all the great character development, conflict, tension, revelations etc you can build into those scenes and let rip I say.

Heidi